Early production WAND Wi-Fi modules date coded MAR 2020 through AUG 2020 have version 4.04 firmware which is known to only connect to Wi-Fi networks that have a password fewer than 19 alphanumeric characters, network names and passwords without spaces, symbols, or special characters.
WAND firmware version 4.10 available now corrects the 4.04 Wi-Fi limitations.
WANDs can be updated in the field using a smartphone hotspot or mobile hotspot device. The new firmware automatically downloads to WAND when connected to Wi-Fi. With the new firmware, the WAND successfully connects to 2.4 GHz networks without the above limitations.
- 2x smartphones OR 1x smartphone and 1x computer with internet access
- Smartphone hotspot must have a network name (SSID) fewer than 19 alphanumeric characters without spaces, symbols, or special characters in the title – Rename network if necessary
- Smartphone hotspot must have a password fewer than 19 alphanumeric characters without symbols or special characters in the code – Change password if necessary
|Process (>25 minutes):|
- Open the Hydrawise app or log on to HYDRAWISE.COM website.
- If there is more than one controller in the Hydrawise account, select the desired X2 CONTROLLER.
- Click the CONTROLLER SETTINGS link in the left menu or click the button in the app.
- Click the button under the model type label.
- Select the Wi-Fi DIRECT SAP MODE option.
- Press the black circle ● button 2x on the WAND module at your controller – (Wi-Fi status LED will blink amber ● 2x per second and ‘SAP’ will appear on the controller LCD).
- Select the CONTINUE WHEN LED IS BLINKING TWICE button on Hydrawise.
- iPhone users: Go to the Wi-Fi settings on the iPhone and select the HunterX2XXX Wi-Fi network name and return to the Hydrawise app Android users: Scan and select the HunterX2XXX Wi-Fi network name and press continue. Computer users: Go to the Wi-Fi settings on the computer and select the HunterX2XXX. Wi-Fi network name and press continue. A browser window will appear or launch a web browser and enter 192.168.7.7 in the address bar.
- Select or enter the HOTSPOTS WIRELESS NETWORK NAME and click the CONTINUE button.
- Enter the Hotspot’s Wi-Fi PASSWORD, verify, and click the CONNECT button.
- Once connected, the WAND LED will turn green ● and ‘UPd8b’ will appear on the controller LCD, upgrading WAND to the latest firmware. If ‘UPd8A’ or ‘UPd8C’ appears, the system is upgrading the X2 or Wi-Fi chipset firmware. Firmware updates take 2-12 minutes each. ONLINE will appear on the controller LCD once all firmware upgrades are completed.
- Return to Step 3 and complete all steps thereafter to connect to the desired Wi-Fi network.