In this article, we will discuss the following topics:
- Brief Summary
- Operation Chart
- Setup Online
- Master Valve (P/MV) Operation per zone
A master valve is a normally closed valve installed at the supply point of the main line that opens only when the automatic system is activated. Zone valves are the individual valves that operate a group of sprinklers or drip emitters. Hydrawise controllers support 6 - 54 zone valves, depending on the model. Typically one zone valve is turned on at a time and controls the irrigation in a specific area of your garden. Whenever one of the irrigation zone valves is told to open by the controller, the controller also signals the master valve to open. The purpose of the master valve is to shut off the water to the irrigation system when none of the zone valves are operating.
|Controller Model||Set Master Valve Operation|
|HC||ON or OFF by All Zones|
|PRO-HC||ON or OFF by All Zones|
|HPC||ON or OFF by Zone or All Zones|
|HCC||ON or OFF by Zone or All Zones|
- Route the master valve wire between valve location and Hydrawise controller.
- Attach the common wire to either solenoid wire. This is most commonly a white colored wire. Attach a separate control wire to the remaining wire of each master valve solenoid. All wire splice connections should be done using waterproof connectors.
- Route wire through the conduit or one of the openings on the bottom of the cabinet.
- Strip ½" (13 mm) of insulation from ends of all wires. Secure the valve common wire to “COM” (Common) terminal. Attach the opposite control wire to the M/V terminal.
Note: With a HC Hydrawise controller, any one of your 6 or 12 zones can be configured to act as a master valve. We usually recommend wiring to the last zone not used in the controller.
This setup option is prompted when you first go through the initial setup wizard in the software.
Does your irrigation system have a Master Valve?
In the event you need to change this in the software after the setup wizard, please refer to the instructions below.
- Login to your Hydrawise account
- Click on Zones and Schedules for the PC or Zones if using the mobile app.
- Choose YES from the drop down above the zones. If you have an HC controller, then you choose the zone number that you have the master valve wired too.
|HC Controller||PRO-HC, HPC, and HCC Controllers|
Master Valve (P/MV) Operation per Station
For selecting a master valve to be on/off for a individual zone, this can be done when editing the zone in zones and schedules under advanced settings. This option is useful when one zone is using city water and another is using from another source.
Note: This option is for HPC and HCC controllers only.
Please follow the steps below to change this setting.
- From the Zones and Schedules page, click on the icon on the zone you would like to edit.
- Click on Advanced located on the top blue search section.
- Select Use Global Master Valve Setting to keep this circuit on or select Disable Master Valve to turn this circuit off.