This message indicates the controller is not connected to Hydrawise. We detect this within about 7 minutes so this would be a connectivity problem for controllers with firmware versions 3.00+. If you have the X2 controller with WAND WiFi Module, please use the troubleshooting section here.
NOTE: It takes 7 hours for a Hunter HC indoor controller with version 1.89 or 2.05 to indicate the NO RECENT CONTACT! message.
No Internet Connection
From the Home screen at the controller, navigate to Server Status by pressing Status > Controller Status. A successful connection to the Hydrawise servers is indicated by the Last Sync under 1 minute or OK-Updated "X:XX" Ago as the Server Status. The controller is connected to Hydrawise and last got a configuration update "X:XX" seconds ago. This is the normal state.
An unsuccessful connection to the router is indicated by Wireless Down, No Internet, or Last Sync 1 minute or greater as the Server Status. The controller is NOT connected to the router.
- Check that your wireless router and controller is powered on.
- Verify serial numbers in software match the number in the controller status screen.
- Signal Strength check - Settings > Wireless > Wireless Name > Select Network > Read strength (High recommended for best functionality).
- Reboot Controller - Settings > Config > Reboot Controller > Check Server Status
- Factory Default - Settings > Config > Factory Default > Erase Config > Connection Wizard >Check Server Status
- Reset Modem/Router - Unplug for 15-20 seconds. Next, plug back in and wait 2-3 minutes. Repeat these steps two more times. Check Server Status. This will refresh the connection to an extender if you have one installed.
- Reset Extender (if have one) - Reset extender as well to refresh the IP settings.
- Check Network Settings - The following Wi-Fi requirements apply to your Hunter Hydrawise-ready controller.
Wi-Fi Checklist: Network Types
- Hunter HC controller is 802.11 B/G
- Hunter WAND controller is 802.11 B/G/N
- Hunter Pro-HC controller is 802.11 B/G/N
- Hunter HPC controller is 802.11 B/G/N
- Hunter HCC controller is 802.11 B/G/N
2.4 GHz only.
Not compatible with 5 GHz
Router Channel Set between 1-11 Security Type WPA or WPA2 Guest Networks/Networks with portal page login Not compatible Mac Address (If Needed)
- HC - Enter 001e followed by serial number (e.g., 001e05fb90ce)
- HCC/HPC/PRO-HC/WAND - Enter f8f0 followed by serial number (e.g., f8f005fb90ce)
Secure MQTT (TCP Port 8883)
HTTPS (TCP Port 443)
NTP (UDP Port 123)
DNS (TCP and DNS Port 53)
Testing with Hot-spot - Depending on your smartphone, please use either guide below:
Check Server Status. This test will tell you if the controller is working fine and may need to install an extender for a better connection.
Wifi Extender Note: You can try and connect to the extender via hotspot. If you have connection issues here, then your not getting an internet connection from the source.