Smart (ET) watering is an automated watering schedule that uses information about environmental conditions to ensure your plants get the optimal amount of water. Evaporation will draw moisture from your garden, while rainfall and irrigation will add moisture. Understanding these conditions allows Hydrawise to decide when the time is right to water your garden. ET stands for evapotranspiration and is explained further in the diagram below.
For each zone, you will have to assign the watering length and peak watering frequency:
- The watering length is how long watering needs to run to fully water your zone.
- The peak watering frequency is how often you would normally water this zone during your peak irrigation period.
The controller will vary your watering frequency based on actual evaporation and rainfall in your area on a day to day basis. In contrast to Time Based Watering and Virtual Solar Sync, Smart Watering will always water a zone for the same length of time and it will vary the frequency of watering based on temperature and rainfall.
Please view the steps and screenshots to access this feature:
Click on ZONES AND SCHEDULES from the home dashboard, then select ZONES. Scroll down to the first zone you choose to edit. Click on the icon.
- Choose SMART (ET) WATERING as the watering type and click NEXT.
- Choose the following options for the Smart (ET) schedule.
- Watering type - Time and frequency or preconfigured schedule.
- Watering length - Run time for zone in minutes.
- Peak Season Watering frequency - Days between watering in peak of season.
- Predictive watering adjustments - Uses ET data from weather stations
- Monthly adjustments can be made using a chart as well here.
- Click NEXT when adjustments are complete.
- Choose ENABLE OR DISABLE the cycle soak feature.
- Finally, the Advance Section will allow you to select a WATERING ADJUSTMENT as a %.
Note: For more information on how smart watering works, please view the article here.